Friday, May 6, 2011

Human Dignity

When I first started volunteering at Our Daily Bread, it was a new experience because I was not used to being around the poor and homeless. Many of them had very old and scraggy looking clothing and some even had little bags that they seemed to keep food in. To me, they seemed very pathetic and helpless, but as I began working I saw that most of them were extremely glad to be alive and to just have somewhere to be. I was amazed at the positive attitudes many of them had and I realized that they were just like everyone else in the world.

While working I, the people I worked with, who were experienced and had apparently worked there many times before, treated all of the guests with respect and dignity. Even though many of the guests were homeless and poor, the workers acted as they were paying customers. One specific example of when I noticed the idea of human dignity was when one of the guests accidentally knocked over his food. One of the elder workers got down on his knees and began cleaning up the food and told the man that he would get him a new tray of food immediately. Even though the elder worker did not know the man, he showed him great respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment